Note: Best if viewed in Firefox -- many pictures won't display in Internet Explorer

Tuesday, August 30

Rachael's First Swim




In another reminder of what it's like to look so very different in another culture, I went for a swim today. I thought several Chinese were going to drown with their mouths agape. "Look, red bear swim at zoo!" But, I didn't care, since it was a hot day, and I wanted to cool down with a dip. So, after checking in, getting 3 locker keys, being instructed to put flip-flops in outside locker, "I wanted to wear them to the pool." "Put in locker" Hmmm... apparently, they only know those few words in about 10 languages. So flip-flops in one locker, t-shirt in another locker, with glasses, and then I could go to the pool. It was very nice, even though I felt on display, and the kids swimming up to look with their goggles at the parts that were under the water weren't subtle. They weren't rude, but curious. The swim was even better when I was joined 10 minutes later by Momma and Rachael, and she had her first swim. She was very glad to see Daddy (we're trying to introduce brief periods of being with only one caretaker), and she didn't seem to mind the water much at all. After a slow introduction, she loved splashing the water with her hands and playing with Dad in the water. Her grin and giggle are SO CUTE. We had a lot of fun playing underwater peek-a-boo, where Dad would go under then come up with a "Boo!" to make her smile. Just about the time we were done anyway, a big storm system with lightning came in, and we got out (though about 20 Chinese swam the whole way through the lightning storm with rain!). It was quite a fun first swim. Now, if I can only convince her to not pee down my shirt in the elevator lobby.

No comments: